1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Centec2 horizontal mill refurb

Discussion in 'ANTIQUE & VINTAGE MACHINERY' started by Fortis64, Jul 15, 2017 at 4:36 AM.

1. Fortis64

Fortis64 United Kingdom Iron Registered Member

City:
    Nairn
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Hi there , for the past year or so I've been trying to get this mill ,it was lying outside next to my work place (broke my heart seeing there) I tried the owner umpteen time to buy it until finally last week we started negotiations . At first i though he'd be wanting a fortune for it ,but luckily for me he hadn't done his research . They just thought it was an old keyway cutter lol....

Anyways it's now sitting in my shed in bits . First thing I ordered where Timken spindle bearings (they cost more than the mill itself !!! ) So I've now stripped all the old paint and cleaned all the nasty cutting oil in readiness for the filler undercoat to be applied . This thing is almost in unused condition both leadscrews are totally unworn condition ,the ways/dovetails still have the milling and grinding marks . The on part that shows it's age is the traverse half nut . Pictures to follow ... If anyone on here has any knowledge/owns one of these amazing little mills I'd greatly appreciate any input/advice .

Sean

Images of Centec 2

Attached Files:

2. 34_40

34_40 United States A Most Active User Active Member

City:
    New Bedford
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

I hadn't seen one before. It looks quite stout.
    Good on you for saving it.. Thanks for the pics too, Can't wait to see the refurb completed.

3. Fortis64

City:
    Nairn
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

They are highly rated for their rigidity and build quality . I can certainly vouch for the build quality . I now have all the big parts undercoated with a filler primer .

Attached Files:

34_40 likes this.
  4. Martin W

Martin W Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Welland
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Sean,
    That is a nice looking mill.
    Is there a gear reduction on the table feed? With that gear it looks like the table would travel 3" with one crank of the handle?
    Keep the pictures coming as you restore it, as it looks great.
    Cheers
    Martin

5. Fortis64

City:
    Nairn
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Hi Martin ,there two lead screws on the table and there's a fast traverse Handle that fits on the tapered small shaft on front left of the bed .Will try and remember to take photos as I progress ....:acne:

Thanks
    Sean :)

6. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Nice mill! Interesting square thread on the lead screw. I guess on some level the seller was correct -- it is a keyway cutter!

7. Fortis64

City:
    Nairn
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

A keyway can be cut on it for sure ,just one of the many operations it's capable of .

Sean